The Lakeland Center
The Lakeland Center is Committed to “GREEN” Initiatives!
We strive to develop ways that protect our environment and save valuable energy. We are committed to superior events and quality entertainment while protecting our environment in the process. Currently, The Lakeland Center is providing several ways for our clients and patrons to help us improve of green initiatives.
In partnership with Sun Edison, The Lakeland Center has embarked on a $2 million dollar installation of state-of-the-art solar panels providing valuable GREEN energy. Panels located on our Sikes Hall roof generate more than 250,000 watts (or 24 megawatts) of solar energy each year. The harvested solar energy provides enough clean, environmentally friendly power to sustain 7,200 homes. More than 1000 solar panels have been installed covering approximately one acre of rooftop space. The panels utilize the latest photovoltaic technology and are engineered to withstand wind up to 120 mph.
Over 20 years, the 24 megawatts produced by The Lakeland Center solar panels will have the solar capacity estimated to produce enough zero-emission solar electricity to offset nearly 807 million pounds of carbon dioxide produced by traditional energy sources.
Other Lakeland Center Energy Conservation Measures:
- Equipment is unplugged when not in use
- Computers are put on “sleep mode” instead of fully shut down
- Lights are shut off if room is unoccupied
- Limited number of light bulbs used in each room decreasing wasted light energy.
- Air Conditioning thermostats are set back to 75° depending on event.
- We currently use a combination of MERV 7 and MERV 8 air filters.
- Maximizes natural light when possible
- Energy saver light bulbs are used in all areas
- Energy saver copy machine with automatic sleep sensor
Lakeland Center is committed to the philosophy of “reduce, reuse and recycle. Several convenient recycle stations have been placed throughout the center encouraging patrons to follow our green initiatives.
The Lakeland Center Recycles the following materials:
- All paper
- Plastic Bottles
- Glass Bottles and Jars
- Aluminum cans
- Non-reusable cardboard (boxes)
- Brochures and pamphlets
- Junk mail
The Lakeland Center has undergone a major refurbishment of our bathroom facilities. Low flow aerators have been installed on all faucets and toilets saving up to 50% more water. We all utilize a large selection of green products in our public facilities.
Green products we use:
- Green Seal foam soap in restrooms
- Green Seal cleaning products
- North River Cascades paper towels and bathroom tissue
- PVC free, non-toxic and chlorine free
- Green Seal Certified” Go-Jo™ hand sanitizers
Reduce, Reuse, Repurpose
- Whiteboards are available instead of paper flipcharts
- Encourage double sided paper printing
- Serve filtered water instead of bottled water (whenever possible)
- Documents are E-mailed instead of printed as much as possible
- Reuse cardboard boxes and packing materials
- Most brochures and exhibitor information are available online
- Biodegradable and recyclable utensils, cups, and serving plates available
- Our Milliken carpet is biodegradable and is made from 100% recyclable material.
Green Catering Initiatives provided by OVATIONS
- Recyclable/biodegradable cups, plates, and utensils
- Use only free range chickens
- Foods grown without the use of pesticides or chemical fertilizers
- No seafood purchased under the threat of extinction
- Grapes organically grown
- Shade grown coffee
- Special menus offered to those guests who are environmentally friendly.
- Purchase food and wine locally whenever possible to reduce transportation
- Serve water on request at food and beverage events.
Lakeland Center GREEN Building Materials
The Lakeland Center has undergone a major roof renovation project with the installation of a PremiumCoat® sustainable roofing and waterproofing system. This system is made of the best raw materials to form a flexible, U.V. resistant elastomeric compound and is fully reinforced with a tough nonwoven polyester fabric which has been designed for all roofing and flashing applications.
The Lakeland Center Green Committee
The Lakeland Center “Green Committee” is constantly creating more ways to become environmentally conscious. The committee is also responsible for making sure The Lakeland Center is following “green” procedures during events especially recycling receptacles and energy conservation. Our entire staff is encouraged to be environmentally conscious and participate in our green practices.